Monday, November 10, 2014

Debut Novelist Hits the Ground - no - SKY Flying HIGH!

I met Carol Moncado before my first ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) Conference in 2012. I'm sure you can understand why her name first caught my attention. When my married name is mispronounced, it's often mistaken for MacCado, so it sounds almost like hers! :) Welcome to one of my cyberspace corners, my friend!

Thanks, Caryl, it's good to be with you this week.


And congratulations on your new book! Please share with our readers what inspired Finding Mr. Write?

The inspiration came from a conversation I had with Casey Herringshaw in the comments on Seekerville one day in mid-2011. We were planning for our first ACFW conference and debated whether or not we should stalk Julie Lessman while there.

Oh, that's priceless, I'm going to need to know what y'all decided!

Well, it turns out we didn’t need to, but the idea had taken root. The original concept had a much more Lucy-Ethel tone to it, but I love the way it turned out.

I'm glad to hear that, and so why Mya Elizabeth Linscott? 

Mya... well, the reason is implied in the book so I won’t spoil it here. I don’t remember the inspiration for Elizabeth, but likely just looking for something with an “E” to make it MEL. Linscott comes from my favorite Mary Connealy hero, Tom Linscott in Sharpshooter in Petticoats.

And Dorrie? Where'd she come from? Oh, and you have to tell us about the skin cancer on her poor nose!

Dorrie embodies pretty much every author I know, myself included. The insecurities. The fears. The rejection. 
    
Hold it! I had no idea EVERYone goes through those awful emotions. Well, I would never cave to fear. I refuse it. Have for years, but I do know insecurity and rejection. Go on, please.

      Well, with all of that comes friendships that transcend writing. Camaraderie. Growth. And I do know of at least one couple who met at a conference and married later. Her journey mirrors mine in many ways [though not the contest final/win - or the random conference wedding ;)].

As for the skin cancer... as I was working on a round of edits for this book, I was diagnosed with exactly what she was. Her experience there also very much mirrors my own - from the nickel-sized crater to the second surgery and the lasering. And yes - my eyelids were numb at one point ;).

So basically, you're telling me you had a ball writing about --or should I say with--many of your favorite people! Go ahead then, tell us all the rest. I have an idea this is gong to be good! Start with Jeremiah. Think that's a good place?

My husband isn’t a writer, but he’s a lot like Jeremiah in a lot of ways. He’s incredibly supportive and I couldn’t do this writer thing without him. I don’t know where the whole “Prince Caspian” thing came from, but came it did. And I loved it!

Many of Dorrie’s writer friends were inspired by my own.

* Stephanie Jamison morphed out Casey Herringshaw. Her story, Finally Mr. Write, is the second book in this series and releases November 24, 2014.

* Anise Taylor came from my dear friend Pepper Basham [who recently signed her first book contract!!!!] - her story is slated for Grace to Forgive, which takes place in 2018 [why yes, I have some stories planned that far out ;)]. I have about 1500 words of that story written, from right smack in the middle, and every time I reread it I cry. I don’t think I’m a good enough writer to do that story justice just yet so I’m glad I’ve got a bit of time ;). However, Anise will pop in and out of stories here and there in the meantime!

* Julie Harders was initially inspired by Julie Lessman. Her son, Travis Harders, gets a story in Grace to Save [which comes right before Anise’s story]. Travis’s daughter’s last name is Connealy-Harders - names stolen from Mary Connealy and Audra Harders.

*Gavin Parmigianno is introduced at the CANDID conference. Dorrie and Jeremiah babysit for Bethany Sheer’s twin daughters. Gavin and Bethany meet in Falling for Mr. Write, book 3 in this series, slated for release in December 2014. That story was written long before I realized how well it fit in this series - with just a few tweaks ;).

* The Watchers blog group is based on the real life Seekerville - who meet every night of conference in the bar to hang out, encourage, commiserate with, love on all of the Seekervillagers.

*The NovelSistas are mentioned as a shout out my very own Jessica Keller Koschnitzky and Kristy Cambron. They’re both also part of BritCrits - which includes Jen Cvelbar (writing as Jennifer A. Davids), Joanna Davidson Politano, and Stacey Zink.


So Tell us what you've got planned. I already know you're as busy as me with six new titles scheduled in 2015. 
   
Yes, that's right! Six releases, except I'm planning mine between now and the end of the year.

What? Before the end of the year? Is that crazy? Oh my, my! And how are thinking to pull such a feat off?

     
For starters, I’m not officially doing NaNoWriMo this year - and I really am mourning that. I know it seems odd, but that’s how much I love it. Finding Mr. Write started as my 2011 project, though it’s undergone some fairly major revisions since. Good Enough for a Princess [releases 11/17/2014] was from 2012. Queen of His Heart [working title; releases Spring 2015] was the 2013 project.

     This is the beginning of my “grand opening” as an author! Six books are releasing this year, and I’m working to finish them up right now. * Finally Mr. Write: CANDID Romance book 2; November 24, 2014; * Falling for Mr. Write: CANDID Romance book 3; December 2014; *Good Enough for a Princess: The Montevaro Monarchy book 1; November 17, 2014; *Along Came a Prince: The Montevaro Monarchy book 2; December 2014; and *More Than a Princess: The Montevaro Monarchy book 3; December 2014.

Absolutely awesome, Carol. I pray the Lord blesses and sustains you! I know it isn't just getting the word out there! I cannot imagine your marketing calendar! Thanks for stopping by, though. Enjoyed your visit and I know my readers will, too! Hugs and Blessings from Texas! 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment