Saturday, January 4, 2014

Mary Ellis and her THE QUAKER AND THE REBEL

Oh, Mary Ellis! 
          I am so excited to interview you and certainly consider it a privilege!

          I first met Mary at P. F. Changs in Indianapolis when our mutual agent took all her authors at the ACFW (American Christian Fiction Writers) Conference last September and just fell in love with her. She’s so sweet and such a honey! 
          So first things first! THE QUAKER AND THE REBEL is her newest book. 
          It has a great cover, Mary. Where can we go to buy our copy?
          It is available at www.christianbook.com and Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and all Christian bookstores, internet and brick-and-mortar stores everywhere. It's in both print and electronic versions. It debuted on January 1st .

Give us a little sneak peek, could you?
          When a conductor on the Underground Railroad crosses paths with a Rebel Ranger, everyone expected sparks to fly. How could a Quaker governess fall in love with the enemy? Two lives of deception, both believing God is on their side. Sometimes love is more powerful than any army…North or South.


How did you come up with these fun characters? Choose their names? I know I sometimes think of someone I know when writing a new character so I can see them in my mind’s eye, hear their unique voice. Do you have a process?
          I love picking characters’ names. I usually create a character sketch before starting the story and select names that comes to mind when writing. Only problem is, I have a tendency to get stuck with a certain letter, such as Cora, Clara, Carl, Corrine, etc. and have to go back later and change some.

That’s so funny because I have the same problem! You’re so much fun, but what’s your craziest quirk?
          When a person has an entire bushel basket full of quirks, it’s difficult to pick just one. I suppose it would be I love to talk to myself while walking the dog. I plot entire conversations for scenes sometimes. One day the neighbors will have me checked into a hospital for observation if I’m not careful.

Ah ha ha! I imagine your dog enjoys his walks more with the conversation. How long does it take you start-to-finish to write a novel?  Since we know only God writes in stone and the rest of us rewrite, how many of those does that include?
          It takes me around six months, start to finish. I usually research, outline, and then write a solid first draft, tweaking as I go along. Then hopefully, I won’t have to spend long on the rewrite. But you know how that goes. I often find plenty I want to change.

Indeed I do, however many times I go over a manuscript, I’ll find little changes to make. I guess authors are like painters who can always make one more brush stroke. So give us faves list, Mary.
Scripture?  You must make allowance for each other’s faults and forgive the person who offends you.  Remember, the Lord forgave you, so must forgive others. (Colossians 3:13)
Rare or Well done?      Well-done 
Color?                           Green  
Soda or Tea?                Iced Tea
Food?                            Popcorn
Country or City?          Definitely country
Animal?                        Oh, please, I can’t think of an animal I don’t like…I even like snakes.
Cook or Eat Out?         Eat out, but I only do so once a week
Flower?                         Lilies
Ferris wheel or tilt-a-whirl? Neither, I get motion-sick
Movie?                          The Legend of Bagger Vance  
Song?                            Truly, Madly, Deeply.
Genre to read?              Historical Romance and Romantic Suspense.

We share green as favorite color, and a love of country and animals, too! I’m glad you like historical romances; you can read my VOW UNBROKEN when it debuts in March J So if you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and how would you get there?
          I would like to get on a plane and go to Tuscany, Italy for a month. I love seeing pictures of the Italian countryside and coastline. I would need a month at the minimum because I know there’s plenty to see.

Sounds like a lovely trip! If God told you that you could pray one prayer and He would immediately answer it, what would you pray?
          Our entire nation would come together in prayer and stop the constant bickering that’s tearing us apart.

Amen! I could pray in agreement with you on that one! What would make your heart burst with joy?
          That my Rheumatoid Arthritis pain would go away, but hey…everyone has something wrong with them once they reach a certain age.

My mama suffered with RA. I’ll put that on my prayer list. We know there’s nothing too hard for God. Be sure to share all you links with us!
Here’s my links:


Thank you so much for letting me into your world. I’ve loved getting to know you a little better, maybe someday we can visit and visit and visit face to face. Hugs and Blessings from your Seymour Sister!
          Thanks so much, Caryl, for interviewing me! I hope to see you in St. Louis, if not before!!


Oh I hope so! It was a true miracle of the Lord that I got to go to ACFW Conference in 2013. I’ve never done anything like that in my life, but He provided. I’ve been telling Him that now He’s got me spoiled and I want to come every year! SO I pray I do get to see you again in September. You know that song ¸.•¨¯`•.¸¸.♥♪♫ Meet me in St. Louis •♥* Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¨♥* Louis.♪♫.•*♪¨*♥ •♫♪Meet me at the Conference! :).♪♫.•*♪¨* —if not before, indeed! 
Here are all The Seymour Agency authors who attended the 2013 ACFW Conference in Indianapolis! Our own Mary Sue Seymour (front and center in red) treated us to P.F. Chang's. We all love Mary Sue! I'm so honored to be in this group!
            If you ever head toward North East Texas, Mary, you better let me know you’re on your way! Blessings and favor to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment