Friday, June 14, 2013

Makin' Hay While The Sun Shines

Hello, hello, hello, and welcome to my new 'author' blog celebrating a new phase of my life. On October tenth of last year (10-10-12), I received an email from my literary agent Mary Sue Seymour of The Seymour Agency in New York with a subject line that read 'Offer for VOW UNBROKEN'. SO excited I could hardly see - might have been the happy tears - I opened it and read the forwarded message from my new editor Beth (to Mary Sue). It went: "Thanks so much for the chance to take a look at Caryl McAdoo’s Vow Unbroken. I was impressed by Caryl’s voice and her strong writing, and I think this could be a great addition to the Howard list."
                              Woot! Woot! Praise the Lord! Hip, hip hooray! And Hallelujah!
     And that's how I learned change in my life was a'comin'. In the seventh grade, I wrote of being an intergalactic famous author, hopping from planet to planet signing books. Then life happened, and I didn't write that book until my new agent asked for a historical Christian romance set in the 1800s. She asked on Sunday, April 29, 2012. BTW, her maiden name was McAdoo. Could God hit you on the head any harder? I love His sense of humor! The next morning, Monday, the 30th, I started VOW UNBROKEN.
     Living in the country after being a big city, Dallas girl all my life, I obtained a new appreciation for many colloquialisms used since I can remember like 'tough row to hoe' or, as this blog is appropriately named, 'makin' hay while the sun shines'. Farmers plant and fertilize and hope for rain so that their pastures grow thick with tall, weed-free grass. Then once they cut it and winnow it into rows, they pray, "No rain!" Because if it does, their hay is ruined.
     I figure I fertilized my writing during fifteen years of read-and-critique and being mentored at the DFW Writers' Workshop. My window to make hay had arrived, so I got busy! In six short months, I baled up three hundred pages and put them in the mail to Mary Sue with a prayer for favor. Six months! Over ninety thousand words! Just go ahead and try to convince me God wasn't in that!
     If you haven't "Liked' my facebook author's page, please click here: https://www.facebook.com/CarylMcAdoo.author/posts/200808440073234?notif_t=like
     And you may also visit my older blog: 'Grami's Gabbin' that isn't all about being an author for Simon and Schuster's Howard Book division. Be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment